A little bit about me...

I come from a family full of teachers. Two of my cousins and my mother are Special Needs teachers. Another of my cousins is currently looking a job in Elementary Education. One of my aunts taught pre-school for many, many years. I really enjoy learning how to simplify classroom activities and processes. Technology is such a wonderful, even though sometimes ornery, tool when used correctly. I feel that regardless of the age of a child, every child can be benefited by having a teacher who implements technology and multimedia in everyday classroom experiences. I can't wait to use some of the tools that I write about in this blog in my own classroom someday!

Thursday, October 23, 2008

iGoogle as a Classroom Website

iGoogle, the personalized homepage provided by Google, may also be used in the classroom. iGoogle may work better with older students and with a smaller class size because in order for the students to view the iGoogle homepage, they must have the password. Once the students have the password, they may edit the web page how they wish. This may be concerning for some teachers since students can then post whatever to the classroom page. Due to this, the tool should really only be used with older students and a very small class size. The teacher may create a few tabs that may be of interest to the class and then have the students create their own tabs. Tabs can be named however a student desires. If the students title their tabs as "Name's Tab", they may then post gadgets that are of interest to them. The teacher may also direct some of the posting by asking students to find gadgets that pertain to a certain topic and then by also having the students view the tabs of other students to see the other gadgets that are available.
I don't see iGoogle being a tool that is as effective with younger students as with older students but it may have a place among education, perhaps in a class of gifted students or students in a summer program.

No comments: