A little bit about me...

I come from a family full of teachers. Two of my cousins and my mother are Special Needs teachers. Another of my cousins is currently looking a job in Elementary Education. One of my aunts taught pre-school for many, many years. I really enjoy learning how to simplify classroom activities and processes. Technology is such a wonderful, even though sometimes ornery, tool when used correctly. I feel that regardless of the age of a child, every child can be benefited by having a teacher who implements technology and multimedia in everyday classroom experiences. I can't wait to use some of the tools that I write about in this blog in my own classroom someday!

Thursday, October 23, 2008

Readers/Writers or Listeners/Watchers?

Dr. John Strange of the University of South Alabama has said that students are in the midst of a shift from being students who read and write to students to listen and watch. I can see what Dr. Strange is saying in this. Students are now in this technology age where everything is digital. Students do listen to and watch a lot more material that they read or write. However, someone has to be writing the material that these students are listening to or watching. Through the use of blogs and podcasts, this shift may be smooth and may not really be that big of a shift. With blogs, students are still having to write, they just use a keyboard instead of a pencil. If students read other blogs, they are still reading. They just aren't reading a hard copy. I don't know that either side, the readers/writers or listeners/watchers is better than the other. I feel that students need a mix of both so that one day, they may be the ones who are creating the material that is listened to or watched. Here's a link to Dr. Strange's blog on the topic:http://jstrangeteachingtools.blogspot.com/2008/10/readerwriters-or-listenerwatchers.html

No comments: