A little bit about me...

I come from a family full of teachers. Two of my cousins and my mother are Special Needs teachers. Another of my cousins is currently looking a job in Elementary Education. One of my aunts taught pre-school for many, many years. I really enjoy learning how to simplify classroom activities and processes. Technology is such a wonderful, even though sometimes ornery, tool when used correctly. I feel that regardless of the age of a child, every child can be benefited by having a teacher who implements technology and multimedia in everyday classroom experiences. I can't wait to use some of the tools that I write about in this blog in my own classroom someday!

Thursday, October 23, 2008

Podcasts in the Classroom

Podcasts may also be beneficial in the classroom. I was skeptical at first about the effectiveness of podcasts, but I do believe that used correctly, podcasts are wonderful.
Since educational podcasts are free to download from iTunes, any school with Internet connection can afford the podcasts. Instead of having to buy several videos to illustrate a concept, a teacher may simple search iTunes for a video podcast that properly demonstrates the concept. Most of the podcasts that I have viewed have been relatively short. Since the podcasts are well under ten minutes in length, the class will not grow bored as easily as they would while waiting for the video to get to the point.
The podcasts that are simply audio are also nice. There are some audio podcasts that are like traditional books on tape. Students may be given copies of the story that the podcast "reads" and then they may follow along while the podcasts "reads" the story to them.
Most videos that are ordered from a regular company are very long and the teacher can't always preview the video before buying it. With the podcasts, the teacher may preview the podcast and see if it is really what is desired and even possess the podcasts without spending any money. I feel that podcasts are such a wonderful resource, especially for schools on a tight budget.

No comments: